Ebay banner

Thursday 4 July 2013

An Urban Wander through London W9 and W10

Despite the clammy weather today, I ventured out for a lunchtime urban wander around London W9 and W10. I guess this was more of a drift than usual as I had no plan of where I was going or what I was looking for. My first find was this ghost sign for a fish bar. I assume at the time the name of the fish bar appeared above the remaining words, but the missing words and the fish bar itself both seem long gone.

Ghost sign for a Fish Bar, London W9
Ghost sign for a Fish Bar, London W9

I didn’t realise how wonky this next picture was until I loaded it up, but the key attributes of the shot can still be clearly seen, revealing carved lettering which reads

Queens Park Hall Artizans, Labourers & General Dwellings Company Limited

I couldn’t see what the building was used for today, and there were no other indications on the adjacent face to suggest its current or former use either.

Old sign for the Queens Park Hall Artizans, Labourers & General Dwellings Company Limited
Old sign for the Queens Park Hall Artizans, Labourers & General Dwellings Company Limited

Looking a bit like an alien invader from War of the Worlds, this water tower seems to have been given a make-over, and it now seems to be available to rent. Also, I didn't realise quite how menacing the sky looked when I took this.

Converted water tower, London W10
Converted water tower, London W10

Finally on today’s wander I found this impressive looking chimney, which I assume formed part of a bigger building at some stage … possibly a factory or a kiln. What I initially thought was a ghost sign turned out to be graffiti on fairly new paint. Shame about the exposure.

Old chimney, London W9
Old chimney, London W9


    

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...