Ebay banner

Monday 26 May 2014

An Urban Wander around Maida Vale and Warwick Avenue, London

Since moving offices, I don't very often find a chance to wander around the Paddington area much anymore, so was pleased last when when an opportunity arose which presented me with a lunch hour where this became possible once again. Typically there is only so far I can get in a lunch hour. I can go further if one way I used the tube, but today was a walk both ways wander.

First up we have a former police station on the Harrow Road, complete with ghost sign above the doorway. The doorway itself looks recently renovated, so slightly curious why this station is now no longer used and boarded up.

Ghost sign over former police station, Harrow Road, London
Ghost sign over former police station, Harrow Road, London

Just around the corner I came across a ghost sign being revealed. I ought to try and return next week to see if any other letters have been revealed, or whether, as perhaps seems more likely, it will have been covered up again. So, unfortunately not much to go on to suggest what it once said.

Ghost sign, off the Harrow Road, London
Ghost sign, off the Harrow Road, London

I don't usually take pictures of ghost signs of street names, normally because the new sign has been placed on top of the old sign, but in this case they were sufficiently apart to make the picture worthwhile. Also of interest was that Shirland Mews would seem to have moved from the W8 to W9 district over the years.

Ghost sign, Shirland Mews, London
Ghost sign, Shirland Mews, London

Immediately opposite the ghost sign were these doorways.

Doors, Shirland Mews, London
Doors, Shirland Mews, London

On the return leg of my wander, I came across this doorway mosaic on, I think, Shirland Road, but can't be sure. What struck me as curious about this is the fact that it's not centred. There's nothing to suggest that there were ever any more letters at one time. 

Doorway mosaic, Shirland Road, London
Doorway mosaic, Shirland Road, London

I've seen these former green, cabman's shelters in various places around London but never really stopped to look at them before today. This one in Warwick Avenue, is one of 13 remaining out of the original 61 that were built in the Victorian era.

Cabman's shelter, Warwick Avenue, London
Cabman's shelter, Warwick Avenue, London

And finally, needing no real introduction, we have the entrance to Warwick Avenue underground station.

Entrance to Warwick Avenue tube station, London
Entrance to Warwick Avenue tube station, London

Come back often to read about my latest urban, rural and coastal wanders, inspired by my recent interest in Psychogeography.

    

1 comment:

  1. I wonder if that doorway mosaic is only half of the original -- isn't there another door to the right, on the other side of the railing? Maybe the tile extended across both doorways at one time. Just discovered your blog & I'm enjoying your wandering!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...